My philosophy...

'The road to success is a painful journey through the Wilderness with various obstacles man has to overcome. The journey has its ups and downs, its highs and lows, but man will rise victorious eventually. The human body is designed to deal with everything you throw at it; never give up fighting and you will never lose the fight.'



Thursday 20 May 2010

Well I've found my achilles heel!

Literally, rather than in terms of that good old cliche that we all know. Of course I do have my weaknesses (my achilles heels) but today it was all about that region beneath the calf.
After a rest day yesterday to try and get over 7 days straight running (!) which saw me pick up 40 miles for the week, I felt compelled and enthusiastic. So energised in fact, that I was going to do a 10k as a sharpener with the hope of ducking under 40 minutes. Yeah, right! I hit the road and immediatley I felt a severe pain in the achilles region. I carried on but to no avail. I needed to get off the roads ASAP so I went onto the canal with the hope that less impact would ease the pain. This had no effect as I was on a very rocky part of the towpath. I eased down the pace before getting off road onto nice soft grassy terrain. The pain went and I could run at a very good speed again. I therefore limited the session to fields for the remainder and clocked up 6 miles in total.
Still, a run is a run. Thank god the race on Sunday is all off road. One final thing, has anyone else been sweating buckets? It seems really warm to me at the moment.

2 comments:

  1. A 40 min. 10K before a race on Sunday would probably have been unwise so don't worry about it. Check for acute pain in the achilles area and ice if necessary. Save your 10K for next Friday night.
    Thanks for the t-shirt competition entry. Not too far off. Will announce the winner on the blog and if you win see you at Colne 10K with your prize. Be in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it was warm tonight on Ilkley moor training, Cya sunday its meant to get warmer :O

    ReplyDelete