My philosophy...

'The road to success is a painful journey through the Wilderness with various obstacles man has to overcome. The journey has its ups and downs, its highs and lows, but man will rise victorious eventually. The human body is designed to deal with everything you throw at it; never give up fighting and you will never lose the fight.'



Monday 17 May 2010

An injection of speed!

Well, not much of an injection but to me it felt fast. To the track runners, Cheeseman et all, my times will be laughable. My excuse is the terrain I did my speedwork on: a field which was being grazed by sheep. I still have to admit they'd probably be streets ahead but there again, whatever your speed, working on the movement in those legs is vital.
The Fartlek session yesterday ended up being much more structured. I decided to get some definite distances and therefore the session was: Warm Up, 4x 600m, 4x 400m, 4x 200m all off 200m recovery. Not the standard Fartlek but all the same, similar principles in which effots are short, bursts with an injection of speed.
The times were as follows:
600s:
2:11 (a bit slow but saving some in the tank!)
2:07 (Getting there!)
2:06 (Just pipped last time's effort! I'll take that!)
2:01 (Nailed it!)
400s:
1:21 (Pedestrian! Need to step on it!)
1:16 (Much better, still not quite got the legs shifting fully.)
1:17 (Slower, and all the efforts had been getting progressivley faster.)
1:10 (Thankyou very much! Just what I was looking for.)
200s:
0:36 (Not a bad effort, still not even at the same pace as the last 400.)
0:41 (Oh dear oh dear, poor is the only way of describing this one.)
0:34 (More like it - possibly an even faster last one?)
0:34 (No faster, no slower. Rounds off a brilliant session.)
So there you have it. A really good sharpener of a session which tested my speed from start to finish. Hill session next and hopefully the one that plunges me to 40 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment