My philosophy...

'The road to success is a painful journey through the Wilderness with various obstacles man has to overcome. The journey has its ups and downs, its highs and lows, but man will rise victorious eventually. The human body is designed to deal with everything you throw at it; never give up fighting and you will never lose the fight.'



Tuesday 18 May 2010

The big 4-0!

Today saw me man up and run arguably the hardest session of my week; the hill session. I had a General Studies exam this morning and then went off to my Grandma and Grandad's so the session was to be done on Ilkley Moor. I know the Moor quite well, having run there plenty of times. What I couldn't think of however, was a climb which lasted 10 minutes. I therefore decided to go for a 5 minute hill session, so it was 5 minutes hard up @ threshold, descend fast and then rest 1 minute.
Rep 1: Really really steep start which my thighs don't like. I maintain a good strong run and finish strongly with a good turnover of leg speed as the climb flattens off.
Rep 2: Same position again - steep, rough and rocky terrain. My thighs die on me so I stop for 10 and stretch before carrying on. I finish strongly again, but am I going to be able to complete this session?
Rep 3: I'm half way there after this one. I take a different route to the stream where the reps finished on the first two, and get there in 4:30 on a really strong rep which was probably longer than the first two despite ending up in the same position.
Rep 4: I'm on the move again - this time on the so called ski slope. I waltz up here and can't find anymore paths which lead uphill. I'm left to fly over undulating terrain for the remainder of the rep. Feeling as though I will get all 6 down now.
Rep 5: A really steep and tough rep - possibly the steepest climb on the moor up from White Wells towards a forest on the hillside. Strong effort and I continue to maintain a good form of running.
Rep 6: Hanging on in there for the final effort - it's been a long week with lots of hard stuff and it's coming to and end. Not a bad way to finish, in fact, quite pleasing.
Overall I'm delighted with today's session. I haven't managed to get 6 reps in before now, 5 is my total. I finished off with a 2 mile warm down which will easily take the distance for the day to 8 and the week to 40! Bingo!
I'm going to do a 10k a week on Friday at Colne which will be a good test. It's very hilly so not one for a fast time but it's local and a 10k is a 10k. Just need to get some road racers sorted now!

No comments:

Post a Comment