My philosophy...

'The road to success is a painful journey through the Wilderness with various obstacles man has to overcome. The journey has its ups and downs, its highs and lows, but man will rise victorious eventually. The human body is designed to deal with everything you throw at it; never give up fighting and you will never lose the fight.'



Wednesday 12 May 2010

Garmin renound for navigation? Hope my forerunner can find its way home then!

After what can only be described as the worst race of my life last night, I had a long hard think last night and today as to what I actually want to do this Summer with regards to running. It was either not run at all, run casually and not race, or stick with initial plans and train hard/race. After much ooing and arring, I came round and stuck with what I had planned. Last night's race was still well and truly in my mind at this point - the pain in my calves and thighs I felt, and the stiffness in my knees was enough to put me off. Still, I am not going to give up that easily and there is no way of getting over a bad run than going out and belting out one that is back at your best.
That is exactly what I did today. I haven't felt good since the start of this virus which, fingers crossed, has actually gone. It certainly seemed that way today. The weather was top notch and so I decided to go with the 4 blocks of 10 minutes off 2 mins recovery @threshold - a session I couldn't complete last week whilst being under the weather. Instead of the boring old laps, which I normally complete 7 of in 10 minutes, I varied things up and devised loops as I went on. Perhaps now I should tell you the bad news. I wanted to do KM reps on the School Track today and took my sports bag with me. I've ended up losing this bag, god knows where/how. Within the bag was my f-lites, my Garmin, my Skins, a pair of Adidas running shorts, a NikePro top and my compression socks. Real disaster so I really hope these turn up. Anyway never mind, at least I could train today; it just meant I wasn't going to have the data of the Garmin, instead relying on the standard stopwatch.
1st Rep: Cautious start, but fly up the hills with a great feeling in my arms, which I use to propell me along. Legs feel awesome too - did I race last night?
2nd Rep: Even better than the first one. Really feel good now and the vitality of running has been well and truly embodied within me once again.
3rd Rep: Still going strongly, but knees a little stiff after recovery and start to tire in the last couple of minutes.
4th Rep: A great feeling as the session is nearly over. I give it my all and push to the bleep of my stopwatch. To my great relief, this comes fairly quickly - what a feeling!

A really great day training wise - so good that it hasn't been dampened by the loss of my bag. I will find this tomorrow with a bit of luck. Well, touch wood, this means I'm back and fighting fit. Coniston (a week on Sunday) now looks very probable, particularly if I can get all my sessions in, as per a normal week. If lady luck smiles, a week pushing for 40 miles may be on the cards. Excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment