My philosophy...

'The road to success is a painful journey through the Wilderness with various obstacles man has to overcome. The journey has its ups and downs, its highs and lows, but man will rise victorious eventually. The human body is designed to deal with everything you throw at it; never give up fighting and you will never lose the fight.'



Wednesday 26 May 2010

'Baby we were born to run!'

As I type that ever so famous track by Bruce Springsteen is blasting out. As you probably have now guessed, I'm in a great mood. Today I set myself the challenge of the KM Rep session (6 x 1k @ 10k race pace ie. 3:40- 3:50/km off 1 minute recovery.). I almost needed some reassurance that I'm still in-form. It has been drizzling a bit today and there is a bit of a wind - of course it's very different to the wonderful sunshine we've had but to be honest, I'm glad it has cooled down a bit. So after a few strides and stretching I was good to go:
Rep 1: I set off steady and I hit the first hill of the run - probably the biggest and steepest too. It's a real toughie but then there's a nice downhill straight away as I instantly lose the height I'd only just gained. Then it's flat all the way - I feel really comfortable, but the pace is not blistering by any means so it's hardly surprising I don't feel pushed. 3:48.
Rep 2: Under the railway bridge and then up the second hill of the run - another steep incline but it's shortish and flattens off reasonably quickly. Over the canal I go and then it's a really steady downhill run before a flat finish on a newly surfaced road. No quicker, no slower than the last one. 3:48.
Rep 3: I am now determined to up things now I've got two of the main hills out of the way. This rep is mainly flat apart from a climb with a false summit - it's nothing on the other two but all the same it's enough to drop the pace. I'm starting to open up the legs now though and am confident I'm moving faster. How right I was - my extra effort counted as I get a pleasing 3:38.
Rep 4: This is an awkward point now. I'm over halfway and I've turned to run for home (back the same way I came.) That's all well and good, but the last time I did this very same session over the same course, my fastest rep was the same as the time as that of Rep 3. Never mind that I thought. I push on hard, I'm now flying and the leg speed feels incredible. Unbelievable 3:26.
Rep 5: I feel home getting nearer. I feel to be really shifting but I have to contend with that drag I descended in Rep 2 - It's a hell of a lot harder going up it. I'm then saved by the descent down the hill I had to climb in that rep though and I finish strongly on the flat. Things just get better 3:25.
Rep 6: This is it - the final push! I can see the hill I'm going to have to climb, but for now I'm going well on the flat. Suddenly I hit the hill and it's a killer. The pace drops by a chunk but then it's all downhill and flat to home. I open up the legs. I know it's not going to be anywhere near the last 2 but I still want a grand finale. It's not a bad effort 3:32.
So there you have it! I'm really pleased with that session and it's a good feeling comparing it with the other time I did it!

January April May
1. 3:49/km 1. 3:50/km 1. 3:48/km
2. 3:45/km 2. 3:41/km 2. 3:48/km
3. 3:48/km 3. 3:47/km 3. 3:38/km
4. 3:41/km 4. 3:38/km 4. 3:26/km
5. 3:45/km 5. 3:40/km 5. 3:25/km
6. 3:39/km 6. 3:40/km 6. 3:32/km

Today's average was 3:36 - 7 seconds better than last time. Happy days! One last thing - those shoes and the new socks are absolutely awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment