My philosophy...

'The road to success is a painful journey through the Wilderness with various obstacles man has to overcome. The journey has its ups and downs, its highs and lows, but man will rise victorious eventually. The human body is designed to deal with everything you throw at it; never give up fighting and you will never lose the fight.'



Friday 2 April 2010

Summer's Schedule

Well, I''ve been making the most of the rest opportunity to plan ahead to the Summer's running. With various forms of advice from adult runners and my 'coach' (coach may be a little over the top but he sets me schedules anyway without attending my sessions) the weekly training schedule has been devised and will therefore look like this:
Non-Racing Phase
Saturday: Flat out run + warm up/warm down (8 miles)
Sunday: Long slow run (8/9 miles)
Monday: 12 x 150m hill reps + warm up/warm down (5 miles)
Tuesday: Easy 3 miles
Wednesday: 3 x 0.75 miles with 0.25 mile recovery (4 miles)
Thursday: 6 miles Fartlek (150 - 300m bursts including 1.5 miles of warming up/warming down)
Friday: Rest
This will go alongside lots of gym and core work. Core work will include: Contralateral Superman's, Cycle Curls, Backward Curls and Planks. Leg strength is also key for the fell season so one legged squats and step ups with weights will also be in order. I will of course be making the most of my gym membership to ensure overall body strength. The schedule above is based on 60% of mileage being easy, 20% just under race pace and 20% anaerobic. Obviously with the races, I won't be able to get the 35 miles of training (as above) a week. Therefore, a racing week's training will be:
Sunday: Race + long warm down
Monday: 8-9 mile recovery
Tuesday: Gym Work
Wednesday: 12 x 150 m with warm up/warm down (5 miles)
Thursday: 6 mile Fartlek (same as above)
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Rest
This is of course assuming races are always on Sundays. If the race in on a Saturday, I will drop the Fartlek session on the Thursday. Overall, we've got things mapped out well and I'm looking forward to the challenge. Training starts on Wednesday 13th April, so I have got few weeks of training before the first race at Sedbergh on 15th May. I will start the training programme on Saturday 16th April (non racing phase) and follow this for 3 weeks before easing off for Sedbergh and taking the slightly easier racing phase programme in the build up. Between the 13th and 16th April, I will just do a couple of long runs to get ready for the schedule I have set myself. The races I have confirmed as 'musts' are:
Saturday 15th May: Sedbergh Gala - 'Long run out followed by a short but steep lung buster of an ascent. Winning time around 12 minutes 15 seconds.'
Sunday 23rd May: Coniston Gullies - 'One of my favourite races. Short, sharp and lung busting with a brilliant ascent/descent. Typical Lakeland terrain. Winning time around 9 minutes 30 seconds.'
Sunday 13th June: Kettlewell Fell Race - ' Surprisingly tough. River crossing at the start which always sees me fall! Short and fast run out to the fell before a climb over rocks and a steep and rough (!) descent which crosses a short stretch of scree. Normally run well here. Winning time around 9 minutes 30 seconds.'
Sunday 20th June: Helm Hill Fell Race - ' Very much a hilly, undulating cross country race. Easy to get lost on but very fast terrain. Many fell runners hate it and therefore don't turn up, so it's good for championship points. Winning time around 14 minutes 15 seconds.'
Saturday 3rd July: Kirkby Gala Fell Race - ' One of my least favourite races. Many share this view. Had a shocker here last time I competed. Long run up a steep road before a gradual but long ascent up some fields with various fences to negotiate which ruin your rythm. Winning time around 18 minutes 55 seconds.'
Saturday 10th July: Alva Games - ' The annual BOFRA forray over the border into Scotland for this classic. Steep and a real thigh burner which leaves you sore in the morning. Great atmosphere, particularly on the campsite the night after the race. Winning time around 11 minutes 20 seconds. Good prize money too - £75 for the winner!
There is 6 races to count towards my 8 altogether. I will definitley get 8 in at least which will enable me to count for the overall championship. Now all I have to do is get in shape for them and hopefully perform when it matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment