My philosophy...

'The road to success is a painful journey through the Wilderness with various obstacles man has to overcome. The journey has its ups and downs, its highs and lows, but man will rise victorious eventually. The human body is designed to deal with everything you throw at it; never give up fighting and you will never lose the fight.'



Friday 30 April 2010

Under the weather!


In both ways! Firstly, it has rained in the past few days for the first time in weeks, which I wouldn't complain about had the ground got any softer, but it hasn't made too much of a noteable difference. The wind has also picked up lately and, when at full force, is probably the most frustrating thing to have as a runner. I'm sure cyclists find it equally annoying. I've also picked up a bit of a cold, but having given into the common cold/man flu before, I decided to train through this one and so found myself doing the 4 blocks of 10 minutes today.

A wise decision it was to run as well. Despite the legs feeling slightly dead, my breathing was top notch and I actually feel much better now as a result of the session! I used the same location as last week so off road, over fields with a steep hill, steep descent and flat running over a short loop to be done as many times as possible in 10 minutes. This time however I relied upon the Garmin for measurements, and this proved how very wrong my estimated distances using GMap Pedometer were. I also wore my Compression Socks (see pic) for the first time today and they were fantastic, felt really good and definitley something I will wear very often now. Down to the results anyway:

1st Block - Legs tired quickly, but didn't feel to be in too much trouble breathing wise. Wondered if I would get through the session at this stage. Regretting wearing the F-Lites despite the rain; needed the Grid Tangents for more cushioning on the hard ground. Still, 6:46/mile.

2nd Block - A superb 10 minutes, style felt excellent and I felt to be going fast without pushing too hard and was rewarded with 6:37/mile. Excellent.

3rd Block - Things start to get tougher and I just look to get 7 of the triangular circuits done. I succeed, but at a pace of 6:55/mile.

4th Block - It's the end of a long week and the energy has been sapped from me by this cold I've picked up. Still, I fight away and reach my 7 loops, but the downward spiral has begun as I clock 7:04/mile. Thank god the session is over!

The times I recorded were much more accurate than last week and therefore I can compare now to next week when I do the same session again. Overall, this was a great end to a week which on the whole has been a very good one. The 7 miles today takes the weekly mileage up to the 35 I dreamed of, fantastic! Tomorrow is the start of a new week where new challenges will arise. The long run tomorrow and then I'm going to Scotland, so the sessions may be mixed up. One thing is for sure though, I'm getting that km rep session in early this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment