My philosophy...

'The road to success is a painful journey through the Wilderness with various obstacles man has to overcome. The journey has its ups and downs, its highs and lows, but man will rise victorious eventually. The human body is designed to deal with everything you throw at it; never give up fighting and you will never lose the fight.'



Saturday 30 January 2010

The road to English Schools...Round 2

Having finished 6th in November at the Harrogate and Craven Area Championships, I qualified to run for Harrogate and Craven against Scarborough and various other areas. Rather conveniently the races today were held at Aireville Park in Skipton; I know every corner and hill like the back of my hand as I regularly train here after School. Pre Race I knew top 6 would guarantee a place to run for North Yorkshire against the whole of England in the English Schools Championships in Manchester on 20th March.
The final 2 places (of 8) would be decided after the race at Durham next weekend which the top 15 finishers today would qualify for.
The weather was cold but the park was blessed with beautiful sunshine. The going underfoot was firm but by the time it got to my race (the last race) the corners were pretty chewed up and very slippy! I set off very steadily with the intention of pulling through and hopefully having a good crack at the top 6. The race was 7km with 1 short lap and 3 longs - after the first lap (short) I lay in around 13th place. I came through just as I'd planned to and by the end of the 2nd long lap I had made my way up to 6th place - Could I hold on? Unfortunatley not. A strong last lap from a lad who had kept me in his sights since the first lap came to pass me leaving me to finish 7th. I was delighted with this but at the same time a little disappointed with giving away 6th place. I did give it all I had and couldn't physically have gone any harder or faster so I think I am being hard on myself to say 6th was given away.
Where does this leave me? I will not be running at Durham next weekend to prove my credentials for English Schools selection and so will speak to the North Yorkshire team manager about my consideration for one of the remaining 2 spots. I believe I have a good chance given my performance today but time will tell. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment