My philosophy...

'The road to success is a painful journey through the Wilderness with various obstacles man has to overcome. The journey has its ups and downs, its highs and lows, but man will rise victorious eventually. The human body is designed to deal with everything you throw at it; never give up fighting and you will never lose the fight.'



Sunday 31 January 2010

Bridging from one race to the next

Having had a hard race yesterday and knowing I have a relay down in Coventry on Wednesday, I settled for a 10k run today rather than the standard 8 or 9 mile Sunday special. I decided to set the Garmin for a 45 minute 10k (4:30/km) which seemed nice and steady after yesterday, but still fast enough to do me good for Wednesday.
Feeling stronger than I expected however, I pushed on and upped the pace. I looked to be heading for around a 40 minute 10k at the 5k mark but a faster second half meant a rather pleasing time of 39:31. Of course it was all on road but there was some bracing climbs at times and considering the energy expended in the push for the top 6 yesterday, I feel pretty happy with the time. The weather is beautiful outside; sunny and fresh with no wind - it really was a joy to be out even if it was on the tarmac!
So, onto Wednesday. The King Henry VII School relays (Coventry) is a big event which attracts top runners and schools from all over the country. Last year we finished 17th albeit with a weakened team. The addition of Billy Pinder should be a big boost to the team and will hopefully help us build on last year. It will be interesting to see if I can improve upon my time of 13.27 as well. Each leg is 2 miles round a park (woodland, paths and tracks) and a team consists of 6 runners - I think we have a good chance of mounting a medal challenge but we shall see. I may do a few bounds and strides tomorrow in preparation for then depending on how I feel.
Another great weekend's running and after today I really fancy entering a 10k (possibly Edinburgh in May) to find out what I could do time-wise in a race situation. Onwards and Upwards to Coventry!

No comments:

Post a Comment