My philosophy...

'The road to success is a painful journey through the Wilderness with various obstacles man has to overcome. The journey has its ups and downs, its highs and lows, but man will rise victorious eventually. The human body is designed to deal with everything you throw at it; never give up fighting and you will never lose the fight.'



Sunday 21 February 2010

What a great start to the Fell Running season!

...In a sarcastic tone!

I always knew there was going to be something that made things tricky for today's race at Ilkley Moor. Let's be honest, there is always something that isn't quite right or makes preparations for a race a little more challenging than you'd like. That something came in the form of Snow. I am normally a great admirer of Snow but I really am starting to get a little fed up of the bloody stuff; it affects your training and your whole day in general particularly the joke that is British Public Transport. Anyway rant over and onto the race.
I set off steady with the intention of pulling through (as usual) and I felt as though I stuck to this race plan pretty well. Passing wasn't easy in places but either by leaping into heather and speeding up or waiting for a wider point I managed. I pulled through to what I believed was the top 15 or so and hung on in there for a good 15 minutes. It was a frustrating race to be involved in as you felt to be gaining on the group in front whilst climbing only for it to flatten off and for them to get time on you. The group I was in consisted of Chris Holmes (Wharfedale), Chris Fell (Rossendale) and another Geordie from Todmorden as well as a couple of Ilkley Harriers trailing by 10 yards or so who ironically followed us when we went the wrong way, cutting down far too early and ending up at White Wells (Local knowledge and all that eh?!). A major disappointment as these lads I was with, after a bit of researching, are no mugs. All in all a mixed day as I was going well but to no avail in the end.
A quick note to say I am going to try and put some more miles in the tank from now on as well as including some strength stuff. Sarah Rowell mentions the way to increase mileage is to do a week of higher mileage (a few miles more) and then back to where you were before and carry on building it up (progressive overload to those in the know). I would like to get nearer to 30 than 20. Whereas I hang around 21 at the moment I would like to be pushing 28 or so. Therefore the next few weeks will look something like this:
Today: Race + Warm Down (6 miles)
22nd Feb:Strength session with circuits etc.
23rd Feb: 3 miles easy
24th Feb: A.M Speed work, P.M. Steady 3 miles
25th Feb: Rest
26th Feb: A.M 3 miles easy, P.M. Hill reps.
27th Feb: Rest
Assuming the Speed Work and Hill reps are 6 miles each, this would mean a weekly total of 27 miles (Where I want to be!). The next week would then be back to the 21 or so to go with the theory of progressive overload.
28th Feb: 8 or 9 miles reasonably hard
29th Feb: Strength Work
1st Mar: 2nd Mar: Hill Rep session
3rd Mar: Rest
4th Mar: Rest
5th Mar: Speed Work
6th Mar: Rest
This brings the mileage back down to 21. The next week I would try and push the marker further again (not taking races into account).
7th Mar:8 or 9 miles reasonably hard
8th Mar:Strength Work
9th Mar: Steady 3 miles
10th Mar: A.M. Speed Work P.M. 3 miles easy
11th Mar: Rest
12th Mar: A.M. 3 miles easy P.M. Hill Reps
13th Mar: Rest
Again assuming the speed work/hill reps are worth 6 miles each I would hit the magic 30 for this week. The trouble with all this is that it doesn't races into account and this would have an affect on what I do. The week after this I would reduce the mileage again before hitting the 30 the week after, with the hope that my body has adapted and I would be alright to hit the 30 every week thereafter. All I can do is try anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment