My philosophy...

'The road to success is a painful journey through the Wilderness with various obstacles man has to overcome. The journey has its ups and downs, its highs and lows, but man will rise victorious eventually. The human body is designed to deal with everything you throw at it; never give up fighting and you will never lose the fight.'



Wednesday 10 February 2010

Reward for the efforts at last!

Today we hosted an interschool Cross Country event in Aireville Park which attracted a few schools, most notably Ripon Grammar and St Aidans. The course was yet again 3 long laps but this time took in the woods as well. Conditions were fairly firm in the park itself because of last night's frost and a few snow showers today, but up towards the top of the woods there was mud in abundance!
I set off steady knowing full well what was in store (3 laps of hell!) leaving Billy Pinder, Dan Cheeseman (5th at NY Schools here 2 weeks ago), Alex Sinclair and Duncan Birtwhistle to do the work. I pulled through nicely feeling very strong and made my way into 2nd as we started the last lap with Cheeseman chasing hard. My stomach felt a little dodgy and had done since the steep climb up the golf course on the 2nd lap. I fought hard right until the end but Cheeseman's trademark 800m finish was too strong and coming out of the woods I was summoned to 3rd. A very comfortable 3rd at that and a good result, coming in just a few seconds behind Cheeseman (closest I have all season) and around a minute behind Pinder. Alex Sinclair finished 4th and considering he is one of the candidates for the final 2 places in North Yorkshire's English Schools' team, I certainly won't have done myself any harm in staking a claim for selection. It's good to have a bit of individual silverware in the form of a Bronze Medal; all the races lately feel as though they have been to no avail but based on today's performance things are coming along nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment