My philosophy...

'The road to success is a painful journey through the Wilderness with various obstacles man has to overcome. The journey has its ups and downs, its highs and lows, but man will rise victorious eventually. The human body is designed to deal with everything you throw at it; never give up fighting and you will never lose the fight.'



Friday 30 July 2010

Reflecting.

Well, this feels like the first opportunity I've had to sit down and blog since Harrogate 10k. I've been on work experience with Dr Martyn Speight, a cracking runner in his day, and so have struggled to even find time to train!
During this time however I've found time to reflect upon the 10k. Firstly, I am now really wanting to do another one and bring that time down to low 36. My mind is asking lots of questions; what I could have done on a flatter course, what if it wasn't windy etc. My biggest suspicion however is of the length of the course, as the map I posted last shows the course as 6.31 - 0.11 miles longer than a standard 6.2 mile 10k race. So, maybe I'm clutching at straws on that one but if it is true it could have cost me a good 30 seconds.
My preparation for the race was also very bad. Having had a variety of Mexican drinks on Friday night (!) and only birthday cake, nothing more nutritious to eat, I found myself a little low on energy on Saturday/Sunday.
These are all 'ifs and buts' but next time I may get everything right and reach the goal of 36 minutes!

2 comments:

  1. It's often useful in evaluation on courses like this to have a look at the times that others around normally run. Take Anthony Bradford who you beat. He ran 37.04 at Harrogate. He had previously run this year
    Rothwell......34.52
    Wakefield.....35.00
    Dewsbury......35.20
    So yes quite obviously harrogate wasn't the fastest of course whether it was long or not.
    Did you not get a distance on your garmin?
    4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points there, Terry. Very interesting looking at some of the guys around me and where they're at on Power of 10.
    I didn't bother taking my Garmin as I thought it might distract me and looking at it too often didn't seem a good idea. In hindsight, it probably would have come in useful to know how long was left etc.

    ReplyDelete